Monday, October 6, 2014

Vintage Magazine Fashion

Magazines are very exciting things. They are glamorous and glossy. They give us advice on our personal and social lives. And they offer the latest tips on current fashion. Magazine's offer vital information to the fashionable woman. 

And so they always have done. When I was in my teens I collected vintage magazines. Having returned home for the first proper time in almost nine years, I rediscovered these treasures. Once, these were the brand-new, cutting edge, glossy magazines that no woman would be without. Ranging from the 1920s to 1940, I thought it would be a fascinating glimpse of Vintage Fashion. 

The cover from a 1924 McCall's

The slim, boxy look of the 1920s

I love the one in the bottom right corner. 

Of course, to me, these vintage magazines are far more glamorous than our modern ones. I love that the covers were illustrations, and not photographs. 

I love this cover!


The elegant, bias-cut look of the 30's already apparent in these fashion pages. 


Exquisite Charm and Loveliness! What a caption!


One of my favourite magazine covers ever. Delineator 1934

A Schiaparelli inspired wardrobe? Count me in!


Mmm. I love tweed!
Another lovely Ladies' Home Journal from 1935.


Water Wardrobe!
1937

Who knew the Red Cross made shoes!

I love these coloured illustrations!


The Clark Gable article is exciting too!


Suspenders! What do you think? 

It's exciting to think that these magazines were once the latest word in what was fashionable. It's interesting, too, to see how the fashions change and evolve throughout the years.  

1 comment: