Wednesday, May 6, 2015

The Magical Met Gala

The Met Gala is probably my 2nd favorite red carpet event (just after the Oscars - of course). It is unique and particularly wonderful because stars, celebrities and designers are given a free pass to be a little crazy with their fashion choices. 

There is always a theme pronounced by the Met, and this year it was China. There were many beautiful gowns that were lovely but safe. In circumstances such as these, there is always part of me that is a little disappointed because the star (and their designer) threw away their chance of taking a risk. 


That being said, I am still including my favorite tame looks, because there were a few that still took my breath away. I will also include a list of my favorite amazingly creative looks, and then the absolutely ridiculous and terrible one's. (Some people should never be encouraged to go crazy.) I hope you enjoy!

THE TAME BEAUTIES


Honestly. The simple perfection of this dress takes my breath away. (Tang Wei)

Jennifer Lawrence's dress is just stunning! And that piece at her neck is almost crazy enough to add her to the next list down.

My jaw actually dropped when I saw this dress on Katie Holmes. It might actually be my favorite. Can you believe it? And having the wonderful Zac Posen on her arm only adds to the beauty.

I love the slightly Medaeval look to this red stunner! (Shupei Qin)

What?! Cher is on the simple, best list? But seriously though, she looks incredible!

Eddie Redmayne's wife Hannah Bagshawe continues to impress me on the red carpet. This is so simple and elegant, and even a little unexpected.


THE CREATIVE MASTERPIECES


I changed my mind, this is my favorite look of the night. Fan Bing Bing hit the nail on the head. The gown itself is straightforward and stunning, and the cape! The designs remind me a lot of the Macintosh designs from the turn of the century. And honestly, she deserves extra points for pulling off a cape anyway.

OK. The headdress is crazy. But I love the design of the gown, and somehow the whole look just works for me. Sarah Jessica Parker can really do whatever she wants on the red carpet. And I love that!

This gown on Keri Russell reminds me a lot of the costuming in Snow White and the Huntsman. Did I mention that the costuming in that is some of my favorite of all time? I think Keri looks incredible! And the dress itself is daring without being ostentatious.  I love it!

This is a wonderful, red nod to the theme of the evening. Perhaps it should be on the simple list, but I love the material used, and the bodice almost looks armor-like. And also, George Clooney = A+.(Amal Alamuddin)

I'm kind of a sucker for good floral prints. This dress is an outstanding example of florals done right. (Emily Ratajkowski)


Am I crazy to like this dress on Anne Hathaway? As with the cape above, a hood is equally hard to pull  off. This light gold is so beautiful. Though I was wondering if this was more of a nod to "May the Fourth" than to the China theme.


THE CERTIFIABLE GOWNS


I honestly don't know if I have ever seen a more unflattering gown. Ever! It looks like the bodice is actually a bullet-proof vest. And the weird cut off length in the front makes her look four feet tall. And normally I love green with pink, but those kelley green shoes are really the exclamation point to this pink disaster. (Kerry Washington)

Is this Solange or a black hole? I can only imagine that her neck really hurt at the end of the evening. Plus, she probably could't sit down. (PS - I will take this dress any day over her sister's barely-there gown.)

I want to like this. There are things I really like about it. But to finish it all off with a giant red tutu is just unforgivable! It ruins the whole thing. (Karen Elson)

I'm sorry. Did you say there was someone else in this picture other than Lenny Kravitz? Yummy. Come on Lisa Bonet! What were you thinking?

OK, to a certain extent Katy Perry can wear whatever, because that's what she does. But that spray paint can purse just pushed me over the edge. Just no.

There were at least 2 other garments similar to this one,  and I found them all to be very disturbing. I simply cannot call this a dress or a gown. Strategically placed jewels and sequins do not count as a gown. And frankly, I just find it to be beyond tacky. I'm really tired of celebrities doing things for shock value. That's such a 90's thing to do. Get over it Beyonce (and J Lo, and Kim Kardashian), and go buy a real dress.
Last but not least. Rihanna. Honestly? Garish yellow train fit for a giant. Whatever!

4 comments:

  1. Great picks! I agree with the Beyonce "thing." Lenny Kravitz & LIsa Bonet are still an item? I had no idea. Clearly Cinna did not style her. And now I know why HONY only featured Katy Perry's face. I cannot, however, embrace SJK's dragon headdress. Nope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! Love and hate!! You'd think Lenny would have told her to find something else to wear!! And Beyoncé--double yuck!! Katie Holmes on the other hand--absolutely fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved your commentary and organization. Well done. The one with the cape? YES. and the red one your described with an armor look. A bit overwhelming for the likes of me, in entirety, though!

    ReplyDelete