Saturday, September 14, 2013

The Stripy Type

In a wonderful movie called "Bluebeard's Eighth Wife," Claudette Colbert tells Gary Cooper that he is the "stripy type" while discussing pajamas. Ever since I saw that movie, years ago, I have often contemplated whether different people are, indeed, the stripy type. And wondered it about myself as well.




The truth is, I love stripes. I think there is something amazingly timeless about them. They look good in any fashion period. I hope I'm not being too presumptuous in saying that after much consideration, I think that I am the stripy type. Or I at least strive to be. 


Olivia Wilde, always stunning!
Wow!
The thing I love about stripes it that they are not, generally, too fancy. And even if they are the pattern on a red carpet dress, they bring that dress down to earth a little. They make the wearer more accessible. When worn in a casual setting, stripes tend to be fun and playful. And, ultimately, I love the overall, graphic nature of them. I feel they are very pleasing to the eye. They make a statement without being too loud.



Again, I'm not a huge Katy Perry fan, but I do enjoy some of her fashion choices!

So, here are some great stripy examples, starting with some wonderful modern looks, and going backward through time. I hope you are as much a fan of the stripe as I am!

I am in love with this Spring 2013 Marc Jacobs line!

I am especially fond of Zoe Saldana's and Chole Moretz's pictured in the middle!


Very 80's! I'm sure many of you are cringing right now!
Only Blondie can wrap herself up with red tape and look awesome!
I'm not sure if this would be more 70's or 80's, but I love it either way. I know where I got my love of rainbows.
I never really thought about it until now, but the whole modern "chevron" love totally comes from the 70's.
Could you die at the sheer awesomeness of these outfits? I would seriously contemplate wearing the striped one. Of course, if I did wear it, I would have to stay at home all day.
Can you believe this is 70's Twiggy? Look how gorgeous she is, and I also love the outfit!
Back to back stripy Twiggy. This one from the 60's.


Marilyn in stripes.
I am totally in love with this yellow, 50's number!
Audrey with stripes and a sandwich and a crazy bed spread in the background.

More chevron stripes from the 50's this time. I want this sweater!

This is Anne St Marie, a famous model from the 50's. This outfit is crazy beautiful!

Bette Davis looking fabulous!

I think this is my favorite from the whole post! I love the effect that the striped ruffle gives in contrast to the rest of the striped dress. Myrna Loy does it again!

This close up of Carole Lombard is amazing!
The only good thing to come out of the movie Titanic was the costuming. This was the best outfit of the bunch! I  am assuming they made an almost exact copy of this original pictured here. So stunning! I love this period in fashion!
Helena Bonham Carter in Sweeney Todd. Such wonderful costuming! Such a jolly and bloody movie!
1870's
1867
1860's detailing
I love the flower/stripe patter on this dress from the 1860's!
Ruffles and bows! 1850's
The detailing on this dress from the 1820's is breathtaking!
From roughly 1800, this costume on Christina Ricci from Sleepy Hollow is amazing!!!
1780's
1780's


2 comments:

  1. Moochie, you've outdone yourself this time. There are so many of these I would love to have. Imagine being able to dress this way (even the 60's and 50's) and look and feel like a woman. Gratefully, I remember some of this from my own days. I feel sorry for the woman of today -- myself included!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, I am not a striped person. I don't think I own one striped piece of clothing. Oh, wait. I just looked and I have two. I get frustrated that these days the stripes all seem to be horizontal which are not flattering on me. These striped examples are great though.

    ReplyDelete