Sunday, September 1, 2013

All Hail McQueen

I rarely buy fashion magazines, but I had to buy the new Vogue September issue the other day. Isn't it supposed to be "the issue" of all issues? Anyway, as I began flipping through it, one of the first things that stood out to me was the Alexander McQueen Fall line. It actually took my breath away. Here is the picture that was shown:



Much like the Chanel line I showed recently in my Plaid post, I love how they are embracing historic costuming! It seems like you often see designers inspired by the 1920's through to the 1980's, but you don't usually see inspirations coming from much earlier times. This collection reminds me most of the Elizabethan era. Here are a few examples:




If you have heard the name Alexander McQueen, but can't place it, chances are you know his name because of Kate Middleton's now famous and historic wedding gown. Interestingly enough, on the runways, Alexander McQueen is known for pushing the limits of fashion, often being extreme and crazy. But the surprising thing is that many of his red carpet looks are simple and elegant. 


Only Cate Blanchett could pull off such a strong and luscious design!

I love the simple silhouette with the beautiful detailing!

This red Kimono-esque belt makes this simple, silver frock a complete eye-turner.


He was appointed head designer at Givenchy in 1996 and stayed with them until 2001 when he left to create his own line. He had great success and his line is now fully established and thriving. On a sadder note, in February 2010, shortly after the death of his mother, he took his own life. As sad as that is, at least he has a legacy that remains, of fashion that pushes boundaries in all the right ways. Hopefully that's the way he would want it to be. The Fall and Pre-Fall lines I have pictured here more than live up to his previous talents and innovation.

I suppose these are not everyday fashion, but I wish they were! So unique and timeless!


Look at the detail on this! It is absolutely extraordinary! And I almost wish  that over-the-head netting thing would become acceptable. Oh, and the ruff too!

Again, the detail simply takes my breath away!

Of the high fashion looks, I think this one is the most wearable. 

I love these belts! And the shoes! And pretty much this whole outfit makes me weep!

This one too!
This little capelet thing with the high collared shirt is lovely!

This one is a little different, but I still love it!


I had to show some close-ups of the accessories.

Everything is so lavish and royal!

I may be getting them a little mixed up, but I believe the pictures above are from the Fall line, and the pictures below are from the Pre-Fall line. Both are utterly divine!

A cape? I would have said absolutely not if I hadn't seen this first.

Who knew the puffy-shirt could have a comeback? And the cut of those pants is amazing!

This is almost pilgrim-like, in a good way. And I love that detailing at the sleeves and hem!

This dress is so simple and yet breathtaking!

I don't even know what to call that bib-like appendage. As with the cape and puffy-shirt, it sounds awful, but it somehow works beautifully! 

Yes, to all three. But that last one is my favorite!

Another bib-like detail. I love it!

Ah! The piece de resistance! If I were a starlet, I would be fighting over this gown for my next red carpet event! It totally reminds me of something Bette Davis or Myrna Loy would have worn.

4 comments:

  1. I was able to go see the McQueen exhibit at the Met in New York a few years ago. It was a transcendent experience, and I shed a few tears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am completely jealous! That must have been wonderful!!!

      Delete
  2. Ooh, this is so lovely! I'm usually not all that into fashion designers, but these are very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I'm like Mairi and don't usually go in for the fashion designers, but this collection is stunningly extraordinary!

    ReplyDelete