Thursday, August 29, 2013

From Crayons to Perfume...



It's late August. It isn't really autumn yet, but it's not full-blown summer either. Lots of school kids have gone back to school, and soon the college & university kids will be going back as well. There's something about late August and the month of September that makes me want to buy lots of pencils, and pens, and paper products. I also have to fight the urge to start wearing ties, cardigans and pleated skirts.

This got me thinking - is the 'school-girl' look just something for a Halloween costume, or is it truly fashionable in its own right? Naturally, I cast my eyes back in time, starting in the 1920's, when women going to college became more acceptable and mainstream, ( though lots of nick-names & jokes were made about them - collegiates, coeds, etc.). So I have a few vintage examples, and even some modern ones (!) and you can decide for yourself if you'll run out and buy that plaid skirt after all!


Maybe if you went to uni in the 1920s, you'd dress like this! Yes, please!

I wish I could see the rest of her outfit. Although I'd never be brave enough to wear checks & stripes together, I think it looks adorable, and has a school-girl look to it. 

Clara Bow playing a college girl in "Wild Party". I love her outfit!
These clothes are campus approved! Aw, yeah!

Plaid & argyle! An irresistible combination!

Ties, braces & argyle socks. 


Ooh! Tweed! 


6 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! This is SO right up my alley! I love the checks and plaid too!!! And I love all of the modern pictures! Especially the argyle socks one (those shoes make me weak) and the tweed at the end!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore vintage school girl look! I used to dream of having a plaid skirt, tweed jacket, and those wonderful 40s jumpers! I love that "college approved" advert haha! And that last photo is awesome. I would so wear those knee pants and argyle socks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for all the comments, Sarah! :) I'm glad you enjoyed this post so much.

      Delete
  3. I forgot to mention... when I think of "college days" my mind always goes to Biff at Metfield in "Absent-Minded Professor" and Annette Funicello in "Monkey's Uncle". Classics! *sigh!*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, it's me again, but I found a link to a post you might enjoy:
    http://historicalsewing.com/better-left-in-the-past

    Too much fun!

    ReplyDelete