Monday, August 12, 2013

It's a Plaid, Plaid World

McCloud plaid on a traditionally garbed piper.


I come from a very Scottish background, and was raised to know the importance of a family tartan (see photo above). To a certain extent, I was smothered in all-things-Scottish. That being said, over the years, I have still learned to embrace plaid, and today I am always thrilled to see it pop up in various sizes, shapes and colors! It looks like plaid is making yet another comeback this fall! I'm excited to see how these designs trickle down to the average consumer!

This Moschino line kills me! I want every single piece!

I love how traditional this is, and yet there is still a modern twist.

This Dolce and Gabbana line is also wonderful! I love the 70's flair to it!

I would wear the outfit on the right. Right now. Even in 100 degree weather!
Chanel also has a heavily tartaned collection this year. I especially love this collection as it is also inspired by historical costumes in an awesome and funky way!

I love the combination of plaids here, and that coat is heavenly!

They are using Tilda Swinton for their ad campaign, which is a brilliant choice as far as I'm concerned.  She has such extraordinary facial structure & features! Again, I am in love with this collection and it's overall sumptuous, royal feel.
Emma Watson wearing McQ. It is adorable and perfect!
This dark plaid dress on Kelly Ripa is very pretty!


I loved going slowly back in time to find good examples of plaid usage! As far as recent history goes, I think it suited the 60's and 70's particularly well, for some reason. But it really is wonderful in any time period!

I love this pic of Jaclyn Smith in this simple but lovely plaid button up. (Or is that snaps? Even better!)

This 70's suit leaves me breathless! The colors are fantastic!

This seems a little more of a 60's to 70's transition outfit.  The long vest is pretty groovy.
To me, this 60's dress is completely perfect! Not only is the plaid itself beautiful, but the dress' cut and design leaves me drooling! I would wear this without hesitation!

I love this simple 50's frock! So whimsical and playful!

Audrey Hepburn sporting another simple plaid shirt. But I love how the 50's version looks completely different from the 70's version.

This 40's outfit is so lovely! The hat and gloves are a wonderful compliment to the entire look.

What a great picture! Just two plaid ladies hanging out in a tree.

This is a beautiful picture of Lucille Ball in a stunning gown!

I am no historian, but from my brief research, I cannot find plaid in fashion any earlier than the mid 1700's. They may have been the first to bring plaid out of the back woods of Scotland and exploit it. If this is true, I suppose that plaid lived mainly in Scotland and rarely ventured forth into other parts of the world or society before this time, which is something I had never thought of before now; That plaid, at some point, was a fashion first.
But, again, I'm not sure if I'm right about this. So feel free to correct me.

This is somewhere in the 1880's. My favorite is the blue and red one!

From the late 1860's. I love the use of fringe!

Probably from the 1850's. I love the colors and the sleeves!

This is one of my overall favorites, probably from the early 1850's.  That material is  phenomenal, and I love the cut of that dress! I could honestly almost see this on a red carpet today.

1830's. I love the affect that the pleating gives to the overall look!

1818. Lovely dress, and the cape thing is very interesting, but I've never been a big fan of those hats.


I know this dress from the 1780's is a bit of a stretch  in the paid department, but it is too beautiful to pass up!

These next two beauties are from roughly the 1770's.

I love how similar they are! I think if I had to choose, I'd choose this one though.
This 1760's dress is a little simpler, but still beautiful!
The moral of this story is that plaid is awesome! Buy it when you can! Because, if it goes out of fashion, it will always return in a year or two. I guarantee it.

3 comments:

  1. What can I say? This is my favorite by far so far! And I am more than excited to think of seeing plaid this year. Hoorah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh--that Chanel collection is fabulous!! But I really love the 18th century dresses, and the short-sleeved 1850's dress--wowza!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These examples are extraordinary - but try living in a house with plaid CARPET and a matching plaid couch! We rented a house once that had both and the plaid carpet was a show stopper for anyone that stepped into our house for the first time. Hahaha!

    I completely agree with everything you said! That Chanel line is absolutely gorgeous and the perfect cut of that 1960s dress makes me so happy! :-) I do love plaid, but I don't know if I've actually ever really worn much of it. I've always aspired to own my own family tartan kilt. Maybe someday!

    Thanks, this was a fun post! (Perhaps the next installment could be about the fashion of kilts in general. I was so tickled pink by seeing a kilt catalog when I was in Edinburgh and all the various versions - like denim and tuxedo pinstripe!)

    ReplyDelete