Friday, August 9, 2013

Shakespearean Fashion


I noticed a trailer for a new film version of "Romeo & Juliet", and it got me thinking about fashion in Shakespeare films. Many of them go for a late medieval/ early renaissance look, but some drift further afield. I've decided to focus on a few fashionable examples.

The first one we'll look at is the 1936 version of "Romeo & Juliet". I have never seen this film all the way through, though I've seen clips. I think it's best known for the age of its actors - Norma Shearer at 34 years old, and Leslie Howard at 43 were both far too old to be playing Romeo & Juliet. John Barrymore plays Mercutio (I bet he's brilliant!) and he was even older than Leslie Howard!

The interesting thing about the costuming is that while going for a medievally look, it also looks very 1930s. There's a glittery, swoopy look to the costumes that places them firmly in the 1930s. They are lovely, though.

She may have been too old for Juliet, but she does look lovely! 


A close-up of the gown Norma is wearing in the above picture.
A long view of Leslie Howard's costume, and the dress pictured above.

Leslie Howard's ornate costume.
The next film I wanted to look at is the 1967 "Taming of the Shrew". These costumes are fabulous, and have a sort-of Albrecht Durer sumptuousness about them. Like my previous comment, I'm sure these costumes were influenced by the 1960s, but they are colourful and creative and I love them!

What is Richard Burton wearing?

This is STUNNING!

Elizabeth Taylor's costumes accentuate her buxomness perfectly!

The next two films stray from the Tudor/ Elizabethan period by quite a lot. The first of these, 'Much ado about Nothing' from 1993 is my first example. I'm not exactly sure what time period they're going for, but it's not Elizabethan by any means! It's very light and lovely, and perfect for a romp. Romp is the first word that comes to my mind whenever I think of this film.

Emma Thompson's white cotton gown is perfect for the warm, Italian setting.

All the women wear these simple, white dresses.

The interesting attire of the soldiers. Are those leather trousers? I'm not sure!

The last film in this study of Shakespearian fashion is the 1996 'Twelfth Night'. Judging by the costuming, its vaguely turn-of-the-century. This isn't my favourite period of costume history, but I love the style of the costuming in this film.

Sorry, it's hard to tell the full costumes from these close-ups, but I wasn't able to find really great pictures. 

Detail of my favourite gown that Helena Bonham-Carter wears. It has a glorious medieval-ish feeling to it, in a Victorian sort of way. 

The men's costumes are very dark & plain, but I love the crazy hats the soldiers are wearing!

Another lovely gown, though not as nice as the turquoise one.

A full-length view of the pink dress.

2 comments:

  1. I love this! And that first picture of Norma is absolutely stunning!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this one! Norma looks EXQUISITE, dewy and yet somehow powerful as well. This is stunning. Thanks again. Susa

    ReplyDelete