Monday, August 19, 2013

Ode to the 1820s


I apologise if you read the title of this post and roll your eyes. I know I've covered the Jane Austen period (roughly 1800 to 1815) and I've also gone over the 1830s, so you might not think it entirely necessary to dedicate an entire post to the 1820s. But I'm going to anyway!

I feel as though the 1820s are a neglected decade, fashion history-wise. And it's a somewhat transitional look - you get the high waist of the Regency, but the sleeves are starting to get big, and the skirts a little wider (and quite decorative). Lately I just can't stop staring at some of these dresses - I think they're stunning!
Lovely brown velvet with beautiful decoration on the hem.


This, apparently, is an archery dress. Wow!


This is much simpler, but it is one of my favourites.

A black velvet mourning dress from Scotland.

An interesting sort-of bib front.

Funky material - isn't it great?


Some wild stuff going on here on the hem. Also the bodice is very odd as well. 


Ooh! So pretty!

This is another favourite of mine. I love how there isn't a 'waist' line, it all just swoops down the length of the dress.

2 comments:

  1. That archery dress is smashing! The black mourning dress is quite beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are also my two favorites! I love this period!!!

    ReplyDelete