Saturday, October 5, 2013

Pencil it in

Marilyn Monroe sporting a pencil skirt.


Lately, I've been quite taken with the pencil skirt. I wear skirts most of the time, but the ones I wear are usually gathered, pleated or quite full. While this is fine, I have felt like my wardrobe needs a serious change. I don't mean a skirt-to-jeans sort of change, but perhaps a flouncy-to-straight skirt change. Enter the pencil skirt.

I think I first got the idea when Kirsty, a good friend of mine, had a pencil skirt especially made for her in fabulous fabric. Throughout the years I've vacillated in my opinion of the pencil skirt. But now, in Mairi's fashion world (a dubious place, to be sure!) pencil skirts are in.

Kirsty's hand-tailored pencil skirt, of a mustard colour. The kick pleat and the pockets are done in a lovely brown floral material. Stunning!


Of course, my first question, once I decided to do this post was - What is the history of the pencil skirt? When does it emerge?

The answer to that, I'm delighted to tell you, is in the 1910s. The hobble skirt is the grandmother of the pencil skirt. It's heyday was around 1910 to 1913.

The hobble skirt was much poked fun of during its years of popularity.

A vintage blouse paired with a newly sewn skirt - made by American Duchess.
Lovely!

Whenever I think of pencil skirts, I always think of the 1940s, and indeed, they made their debut in the late 1940s, thanks to Christian Dior.

1940s suits.


Amazing pencil skirt worn by Grace Kelly in "Rear Window".

And here are a few examples of modern pencil skirts:



3 comments:

  1. Yup. I love the pencil skirt too! There is something so sexy about them, but they are still so feminine! The "hobble skirt" thing is completely hilarious! I love that history! Well done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tartan skirt with the flounce is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you added this one. Nice examples. I think your own wardrobe will be enhanced. They're sleek as well as feminine, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete