Friday, February 7, 2014

Oscars and Costumes 2014

I thought it might be interesting to some if I were to give a summary of the five films that are nominated for an Academy Award this year. I do my best to see as many of the nominated movies as possible, but I have only seen three of the five. So, for those of you who are interested, here is my summary and, also, my inevitable opinion.

12 Years a Slave




The costuming done on this film by Patricia Norris was definitely good. It was, however, heavy on the male costuming, and light on the female. I think this makes it unique as far as period pieces go. And I also feel that, because of it's lack of flashy ball gowns, it might lose the race because of it.

American Hustle




Michael Wilkinson did the costuming on this wild romp of a movie (his most notable other credits include 300 and Man of Steel). I honestly don't know where to begin. First of all, I love how they decided to embrace all things 70's! It seems like, more often than not, when Hollywood produces a movie set in the 70's or 80's, they always try to downplay the style as much as possible. They did exactly the opposite in this movie with enormous success! 

Patricia Norris (12 Years a Slave) said that if you don't notice the costumes then they're good. I couldn't agree less with that statement. A costume, in and of itself, is something made that contrasts with the overall normal fashion of the current day. So that should make the style noticeable right from the start. Furthermore, I believe that if the costumes are truly spectacular, they will take on a character all their own. They transport, delight and captivate. And most importantly, I also believe that they can help a good actor give an even better performance.

This is all true when it comes to American Hustle, and that is why it is my personal vote for best costuming. I was blown away by the costuming! Plus, as crazy and often comical as the costuming was, Jennifer Lawrence and Amy Adams have never looked better! That being said, I am sure all of the nominees deserve a win, and I will not be disappointed if American Hustle loses. But I thought it was phenomenal!


The Grandmaster




William Chang Suk Ping did the costuming on this most current telling of the legendary Ip Man (who famously trained Bruce Lee). I haven't been lucky enough to see this yet, though I'm dying to do so. Tony Leung is absolutely one of my favorite actors! And from what I can tell of the previews and pictures, the costumes look wonderful! But I can't really offer an opinion any further than that.

The Great Gatsby






The costuming, done by Catherine Martin, was definitely lovely. But, for some reason, I wasn't overly impressed by it. I can't really put it into words, but I just expected more. I loved that white frock pictured above with the lovely hats though.

The Invisible Woman





Michael O'Connor did the costuming on this film (he also did The Duchess for which he won an Academy Award). Unfortunately, I have not seen this movie either, but from what I can tell, the costumes are very impressive! Plus, Ralph Feinnes looks absolutely astonishing, doesn't he?! I have no doubt that O'Connor is worthy of another award.

And my honorable mention goes to:
Catching Fire





I wanted to give a quick shout out to this movie because I thought the costuming on it was done so well and I was shocked it didn't get nominated (especially because it was such a popular movie). The first movie was so boring, as far as the costuming goes, and Trish Summerville managed to infuse just the right amount of crazy into the second. As with American Hustle, I felt the costuming really added a lot to the overall theme and feel of the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment