Sunday, August 3, 2014

Platinum Ginger


I recently watched a Fred Astair & Ginger Rogers movie that I'd never seen before called Roberta. It was delightful and, more importantly, the clothes Ginger wore were breathtaking. It made me realize that I am always blown away by the clothes she wears! And she always seems to wear them with such effortless grace and beauty. So, I decided it was time to do a post just for her.

From Roberta. This is the best picture I could find. These are actually wide legged pants and it is perhaps the most flattering and gorgeous outfit of them all!
Also from Roberta. Total perfection! Sigh!



As for a brief history, she was born Virginia Katherine McMath in 1911 in Independence, Missouri. Her parents separated shortly thereafter and she spent most of her time with her Mother's side of the family. Her Mother wrote scripts for Hollywood so Ginger was introduced to show business at an early age. When she was fifteen she began her career on stage and was discovered by Hollywood when she performed on Broadway.

In her awesome ensemble from Follow the Fleet sitting next to a young Lucille Ball.



Her film career lasted from roughly 1929 to 1987. She won an Oscar in 1940 for her role in Kitty Foyle. For me, she was a perfect mix of dramatic elegance and quirky humor. Not many actresses can pull that off! Her clothes always fit her perfectly and she was fortunate enough to have some of the best designers in Hollywood making exceptional gowns for her. I hope you enjoy my little ode to Ginger Rogers which I dedicate to my dear sister Mairi on her birthday.

Absolutely one of my favorites! The graphics on this dress are amazing and it looked wonderful in motion!

In the infamous feather dress she wore during perhaps their best number of all time, "Heaven." Apparently Fred Astair changed the words to "Feathers, I hate feathers. And I hate them so that I can hardly speak." I sure am glad he toughed it out! The dress was perfect on Ginger and it danced beautifully!


She looked stunning in trousers too!

4 comments:

  1. This was enchanting; you captured the essence of Ginger and Fred A. also. Good of you to do this one at such a challenging time for you. She surely was unique with a dignity all her own. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous--wish I had all those clothes!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Fred and Ginger! Makes me want to go watch Swing Time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE Ginger Rogers! She was so stylish! Thanks for the post! :)

    ReplyDelete