Thursday, March 14, 2013

These aren't the Vikings you're looking for.

Contrary to popular belief, Vikings didn't wear winged helmets. Not in Scotland, anyway!

I usually adhere pretty closely to fashions of the 1920s, though I do have favourite periods ranging from medieval to, well, about the 1920s and 1930s. However, these past few months I've been positively steeped in 9th to 12th century Britain. My favourite class this semester was entitled "Northern Britons" and included the area in which I am currently living (Glasgow). 

One of the places we learned about is the fascinating town of Govan. It is now part of Glasgow, but in its glory days (9th to 11th centuries) it was a power unto itself. What on earth, you are asking yourself about now, does this have to do with fashion? I'm getting there. 

One of the Norse influenced stones from Govan Old Parish Chuch.

Well, I've signed up to volunteer at Govan Old Parish Church, which houses remarkable carved stones from these early centuries, and although the church itself is 19th century, a church of some description has been on that sight since about the 7th century. And I keep thinking how jolly it would be if I could dress up in 9th or 10th century garb whilst telling people about the remarkable stones in the church. The stones have a strong Norse influence, as there were Vikings in the area during this period, so I thought I would share with you some authentic Viking garb, and I can daydream about having a spiffy Viking dress some day. 

A drawing made based on a skeleton found in a Viking boat burial in Orkney: The Westness Woman. Note the large oval brooch's holding up her apron (source: The Sea Road, by Olwyn Owen).

A Viking brooch (source: Bridgeman art gallery).

A modern ensemble available to buy! I know you're all going to rush out and buy your Viking dress today!
(http://www.revivalclothing.com/10th-11thcearlymedievalvikingaprondress.aspx)



2 comments:

  1. This is very entertaining, Mairi!I've only gone back as far as the 1920's, and lately I seem to be stuck somewhere in the 60's. So I'm actually losing ground in any journey my fashion might take to the Viking era. It will take more years than I will live for me to make it as far back as the vikings! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mairi,

    Welcome to the Govan Old family, I've been doing the guiding for a few years and really enjoy it.

    And while there were Vikings in the area, the bulk of the people were Britons, so would a coating of woad not be the right fashion statement?

    ReplyDelete