Sunday, November 24, 2013

Fine Feathered Fashion

OK, I know there is only one feather in this picture and not a lot of clothes, but I couldn't help myself!

In honor of Thanksgiving and it's conspicuous turkey mascot, I thought it might be fun to explore feathers in fashion. Feathers as a fashion accessory go back probably till the beginning of time. They are beautiful and intricate on their own. Once added to an ensemble, they transform the overall look instantaneously. I believe that they either make a serious outfit more dramatic, or they can make a fun outfit more playful. They enhance, soften and elevate. 


An early (1600's?) example of feathers.

I am in love with the feathers in this Edwardian ensemble!

Two Flappers floating in feathers. Sublime!


An amazing use of feathers from the 40's.


I have always loved this dress on Leslie Caron from Gigi!

I think, because of passing fads or trends, sometimes feathers get a bad rap. But I feel it's important not to overlook them or brush them aside. They can be a powerful fashion ally!


This colorful feather collar kills me!

Another great use of feathers in this super-mini black dress on Emma Watson.

Just breathtaking!

Carey Mulligan in a heavenly feathered dress.


I need this outfit!!!

I love the variety here! I think the green is my favorite!

I have never been one for fake eyelashes, but I am kind of desperate to try these one's out!

2 comments:

  1. Bravo. Your commentary in first paragraph is really nice. I want those feathered eyelashes, too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, time to watch Gigi again! I never would have said that I love feathers in fashion, but I actually do LOVE feathers in fashion. You are such an inspiration--if only my budget allowed for me to indulge in all (or even any) of the fabulous fashions you present!

    ReplyDelete