Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Suit Yourself

Some good examples of the earlier women's suits.



In honor of my sweet Father, I am doing a post dedicated to suits. He was a man of many suits and was completely dedicated to wearing a proper suit as often and as beautifully as possible. He was a monumental influence on me and my sense and love of fashion.

Marlene Dietrich, yes please!

For me, the quintessential period for the women's suit was the 1940's. Jean Arthur is the perfect model!

Gorgeous!

No one could wear a suit as well as Lauren Bacall.

Um, words cannot express my desire to own this entire ensemble! 

Even the 70's suit is better than the 80's one below!

Yikes!!!

As I started thinking about and looking for good pictures of women in suits, I sadly realized that suits used to be a major staple in a women's wardrobe, an unfortunately, they no longer are. I think the frightening suits of the 80's were sort of the last of them. (Perhaps because they were so horrendous they killed off the entire trend altogether! ) I distinctly remember, when I was young, that women needed a proper "suit" to complete their trousseau. 

This is a great gritty photo of Mila Jovovich! The suit is perfect!


Another plaid suit. Drool!

Cate Blanchett is simply divine! 

I love this suit on Emily Blunt. It's pretty perfect!

I feel it is very sad that this wardrobe expectation has gone away! Hopefully you will feel the same when you have perused these photos. 

My Dad being a twinner with Cary Grant. I love you Daddy!

2 comments:

  1. oh, Morag, you have outdone yourself. Thanks for the thought and the effort; beautifully executed. Lovely title.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Re-reading this today, and I have to say the last picture made me cry! Beautiful tribute post! Guess I need to get a suit!

    ReplyDelete