Thursday, March 6, 2014

Oscar fashion of the Past: 1929 to 1999

The Acadamy Awards started in 1929, and has been going every year since. In the first few years, I don't think it was as big a deal as it has since become, but there have been lovely dresses along the way. I obviously can't go through every single one, so I'm just going to choose the ones I thought were pretty - or remarkable - in some way, among women who won for best actress.

Since 1929 is the first year, I thought I should include the first Oscar winner's dress. But I hate to confess, that the 1929 dress is not fancy at all. And I'm quite disappointed with the fare from the 1930s as well. But trawling through all the past decades of the Oscars has revealed that a lot of the dresses aren't anything to write home about. Enjoy the ones I've selected below!

Janet Gaynor & Douglas Fairbanks
Luise Rainer from 1938. I wish I knew the colour of the dress! Also, a long view would be good too.

I'm not sure if I like Bette Davis's dress from 1939, but the feathers ARE interesting.

I quite like this dress that Ginger Rogers is sporting at the 1941 Acadamy Awards. 

I don't know if this coloration is right, but it gives you an interesting idea of the dress.

There seem to be only close-ups of these old dresses and it is VERY frustrating. I don't really like this dress of Joan Fontaine's (1942), but the collar that turns into a mantilla is quite unique. 

Again, it's hard to judge on a close-up, but I quite like what I see of Jennifer Jones's 1944 dress.


This drapey number looks quite interesting.  Jane Wyman, 1949.

Olivia De Havilland, 1950. It's much better than her 1947 dress.


Audrey Hepburn, 1954. I love this simple, lace dress.

STUNNING! This classic lime green dress of Grace Kelly's (1955) is just beautiful.

I quite like this colourful gown worn by Elizabeth Taylor in 1961.

HIDEOUS!!!! But I thought I'd include it as Barbra Streisand is the first best actress winning female to wear trousers (1969)

Meryl Streep in 1983. It may not be the prettiest dress, but the beadwork is nice, Meryl was pregnant at the time, and, I think, looks just lovely!

Susan Sarandon, 1996. I think this brown silk affair is quite lovely. 


No comments:

Post a Comment