Monday, June 9, 2014

Fabulous Flapper Sleuth!



It starts with books: my favorites are murder mysteries, and there are plenty of them set in the 1920's. Oddly enough, the Phryne Fisher Mysteries by Kerry Greenwood is a series that I had passed over.  Admittedly, at least in part, because they were set in Australia--I know, how silly of me!  But while looking for a new mystery series to watch on Netflix, my husband and I decided to give the Miss Fisher Murder Mysteries a try. Best decision of the year!!!
I can say without reservation that this Australian TV series has the best costuming I have ever seen! Costume designer Marion Boyce is a star!!  And Essie Davis wears her clothes with such panache!! The costumes are always surprising, even adventurous and daring--very fitting for the character of Phryne--and unbelievably gorgeous.



This costume even has a name: "The Showstopper"


Beautiful Chinese-inspired coat


There is--of course--a handsome police detective, and he and his costumes aren't bad either.

I love this coat!

Normally asymmetry bothers me--but not here!



These are just a few of my favorite Phryne ensembles--but please check out the episodes yourself.  You'll thank me.  If only I'd been going to Australia before June 1, I could have seen the Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries Costume Exhibition--what an opportunity that would have been, to actually see these costumes in the flesh!  Maybe someday!

1 comment:

  1. Heather -- thanks for this. It's nice to hear from you here. I JUST looked the series up last night and watched a three minute ad. I see what you mean. I agree about the asymmetry of the last one working so well -- they are all exquisite -- and workable; you can see yourself wearing one!

    ReplyDelete