Monday, April 1, 2013

Enchanted April

Ever since seeing it in the cinema, the 1991 film "Enchanted April" has been a favourite among my family and myself (the females in the family, that is!). When I moved to central New York to live with my sister Heather, I adopted her tradition of watching it only in April, with the good female company, and snacks and sweets.

Polly Walker, Joan Plowright, Josie Lawrence & Miranda Richardson.


The film never ceases to lose its charm. And the costuming holds up as well. That is because a great deal of it was the real thing! When writing a post about the film last year in my old blog (http://mairiglasgow.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/elizabeth-von-arnim-and-other-loves.html), I read an article online that said that many of the clothes worn were authentic. I seem to remember that it was a matter of budget - that it was cheaper to rent extant clothing than to create new. To my dismay, I was unable to find the reference this year, so I might be full of nonsense. But I maintain that you can tell. There is a quality to many of the clothes worn that you just can't reproduce with todays fabrics. Not that I want to take all the credit away from the costume designer (I don't think ALL the costumes were period), Sheena Napier, who was nominated for an Oscar for best costume design.

The period in question is the early 1920's, probably 1922, which is when the novel "Enchanted April" by Elizabeth von Arnim was published. Many people, when you say 1920s, immediately assume short skirts, drop-waists, and beaded flapper dresses. But the early 1920s wasn't like that at all. The clothing was much looser, longer and gentler than the boyish, severe lines it took on later in the decade. And "Enchanted April" is a perfect example of this beautiful period in fashion history.

Josie Lawrence as Lottie Wilkins.



An example of a period dress from 1922. It looks exactly like something Josie Lawrence (as Lottie Wilkins) would wear (see photo above).

The film is worthwhile on many other accounts - not just for the perfect costuming! It is filmed in Italy in a beautiful castle, and has an amazing cast. If you haven't seen it, I urge you to do so!

Polly Walker as Caroline Dester, the rich socialite who joins the other women in Italy.
Another similar period example: a dress and coat set from around 1922 (pastperfectvintage.com)
Look at the detail on the sleeve and collar!

Polly Walker & the glorious Michael Kitchen.




It's a shame you can't see the whole dress - it's stunning!

I think that Miranda Richardson has never been so beautiful as she is in this film. Every time I watch it I'm amazed by how lovely she is!

Miranda Richardson & Michael Kitchen, as Rose Arbuthnot & George Briggs.

Just in case any of you is now desperate for an early 1920s frock, here are two examples of patterns you can buy. One seems to be very like the clothes Lottie & Rose wear in London, the other is looser & lighter like the clothes worn in Italy. These are reproduced from period patterns, so they are authentic as well.

Ooft! This is TINY! Here's a link to the website:
http://www.pastpatterns.com/2307.html
Here's a much better size! Link for this pattern:
http://www.pastpatterns.com/1332.html




6 comments:

  1. Yes. Now I want to go out and have a dress made! I had forgotten that they used period pieces. It not surprising, the costuming feels so very authentic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Enchanted April!! I wish I could have ALL the dresses from that film!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always surprised at how much I still love all the visual aspects of this movie, especially the costumes.
    Side note: If if the costumes were all pulled from existing stock and not created, it is still considered designed. The designer still has to find what they want, match color paletts, accessorize, and say something about the character with what they choose, not to mention alterations. It's no easy task and can be just as time consuming as creating from scratch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that clarification re: costume designing. I hadn't really thought of that aspect of it.

      Delete
  4. This has long been one of my favorite films! I've never desperately wanted a 1920s period dress, but I do now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just rewatched it again. I really need to find the robes and dresses they wore the first morning in Italy. How beautiful....

    On a side note, the audio recording of Enchanted April done by Diana Kiesners is the best. It's free on Libravox.

    ReplyDelete