Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Glove Love



When my sisters and I were wee, my Mother usually bought us special, fancy dresses at Easter time.  If we were very lucky, we might have also gotten a bonnet, purse, or gloves (as my sister Beccah mentioned in an earlier post).  So, at this year's Easter-time, I have been thinking a lot about those exciting accessories!  And for some reason, the one that is standing out to me most, is gloves.

What a great color combination!


I must say, I am very sad that gloves are a lost accessory (with obvious winter-time exceptions).  Of course, I understand that they seem a bit formal.  And they might even be a little annoying and inconvenient in certain circumstances.  But I still feel they could have a place in today's wardrobes.  Obviously not with sweats, but if they were accepted enough, I think the ensemble possibilities would be endless!

I love how Carole Lombard is obviously dressed casually, but she's still sporting gloves.  And aren't they the cutest couple?



When I started searching online, I was surprised to find that gloves are very rare on the red carpet and on celebrities in general.  Of course, there are a few who seem to favor them (I found loads of pics for Paris Hilton, Kim Kardashian and Lily Allen).  But they are definitely still a random fashion choice, and not the dominant fashion accessory I wish they were.

I'm pretty sure Sarah Jessica Parker was born with gloves, they suit her fashion style so well!

Lily Allen. I love her!

I was surprised to find Lucy Liu in gloves.  I guess I'm becoming a big fan of hers!  Plus I love that coat!


A lot of the pictures I found for this post are of old movie stars. They were elegant, neat, and completely appealing in a way that most vintage fashions tend to be (at least for me, that is). But I still believe that gloves could be current.  I can even imagine people wearing them with jeans and a t-shirt. (Have I gone too far?)  Honestly, even though the fashions are not the same as they were when gloves were the norm, if we embraced them as just another accessory, (like scarves or jewelry) then we could find a way to make them work.  I mean, Madonna did a fantastic job with the lace, cut-off gloves in the 80's!  Why can't we do it now?

Ewwwwwwww!


I did find a small, current trend for gloves that cover only four fingers.  To me, when I look at them, they make me want to scream!  That's like making pants with just one leg, or glasses with only one, giant, cyclops lens.  It simply should not be done, and they look extremely uncomfortable to wear!  So, thanks for the effort, but no thanks!





Of course, it's not hard to find gloves in the fashion editorials, and they're all over the runways.  So, how is it that gloves don't trickle down, like most other fashion statements seem to do?



Until now, I have always thought it would be too extreme for me to try to add gloves to my wardrobe.  Like all those teens who only wear black, or people who choose to wear capes.  But after researching for this blog, I'm not so sure any more.  Are gloves too extreme?  I'm not saying that I could single handedly start a trend (no pun intended), or anything like that.  But perhaps, if we all pitched in and started wearing them, maybe, some day, we'll all be able to open our top drawer and find a small stack of gloves, right next to the undies, bras and socks.

To me, these are the perfect gloves.  I want them right now!

*I found this place online that has quite a few great-looking pairs of gloves.  Aside from the fact that I am heading into a Vegas summer, I think I might buy a pair!

3 comments:

  1. I'm with you Morag!! I love gloves, too. I'll start the glove revolution with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went on a school trip to England in high school, and as my souvenir I bought myself a pair of black, ruched, elbow-length vintage gloves. I wore them to prom. Now, they're sitting in storage... Maybe someday I'll unearth them and find an occasion to wear them again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We should start a trend--absolutely!! And that's a good question you pose--why don't they "trickle down"???

    ReplyDelete