Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Crazy Hair through History

An element that is crucial to fashion is definitely your hair. Think of prom, when so many girls go to the hair salon to have their hair done up perfectly. Women spend hours on their hair, it's a justifiably important part of the ensemble of how you look and how you feel every day. 

Of course, I'm looking at hair in the past, and focussing on the period between the 1780s and the 1940s.

So, we'll start with the 1780s, and the crazy huge wigs the women wore during that decade.

A fashion-plate from the time showing the monstrous high wig.

A fabulous example of this from the 2006 film "Marie Antoinette "

In order to get away from this look, and possibly a result of the French Revolution, in the early days of the Empire period we see a very, very short and very modern look in hair: 

18th century pixie-cut? Shades of Anne Hathaway in "Les Miserables", though of course, she didn't do it for fashion!

Another portrait of a girl with shorn hair. 

An example from the film "Wives & Daughters". I admire the way they did their hair, though I'm not sure that by the late 1820s, early 1830s, women still sported the short look. 

The next look will be a broader sweep: the Regency period, from around 1810 to 1830. 

If my historical knowledge is accurate, I'd date this portrait at around 1820? The big-lopsided curls are quite interesting. 

I remember reading in a book about the 1995 Pride & Prejudice that a similar portrait was found and they purposefully gave the character Lydia this sort-of silly lopsided look to be in keeping with her character.

Another nod to "Wives & Daughters" and their excellent hair. 

Next is a bit of a jump to the 1880s. I find it fascinating that fashion repeats itself. Interestingly enough, the 1880s echo in many ways the 1780s (though I love the fashion of the 1780s and don't really like the 1880s - figure that out!).

It's not a huge wig, but it's a LOT of hair, and a LOT of curls! 

A beautiful example from the opulent "Daniel Deronda"

Obviously, all that hair wasn't your own. Wild hairpieces! 

The last look is another jump: the 1940s. They had some crazy stuff going on then! One of the mysteries of the late 1930s/ early 1940s was this odd, short, curly thing. Why, just why?

You see this odd, short do on Joan Crawford & Norma Shearer (left & centre). In my opinion, at least, I don't think it's that nice. 

The lovely Myrna Loy succumbed to this look as well. 

In the 1940s proper, however, most of the hair was longer, and often very sculptured. Not all of the hairstyles were like this. Some were more loose and natural (think Lauren Bacall & Veronica Lake). But as that's not really crazy, I'm just focussing on this sort: 





Hair defines a period as well. I can't really see Rosie the Riveter sporting a high wig, or Jane Austen scampering about with huge, heavy curls halfway down her back. Anyone willing to sport lopsided curls with their jeans? 

3 comments:

  1. So, I know it's crazy, but if I could do my hair the crazy 40's way, I would (the long one, not the short one). I totally love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting! Didn't they show that wig in the Marie Antoinette movie with the bird cage in it? Now that's wild! All of these hairstyles are fascinating. I'm with Morag, though. If I could do that sculpted look from the 1940s, I totally would!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the short Empire style!

    ReplyDelete