Saturday, July 13, 2013

It's Only a Paper Swoon

If I could only collect one, I would choose this Andy Warhol, Campbell's Soup dress.

Many years ago, I discovered the existence of the 1960's paper dress and instantly fell in love. In my research, I discovered that they were initially made by advertisers as  promotional offers starting around 1966. Customers could send in a coupon and $1.25 to receive their dress. This marketing stint quickly kicked off a fashion craze where they were eventually sold at department stores for up to $8! They also ended up making other paper clothing, including underwear (how uncomfortable!), men's vests, children's clothes and even bridal gowns!

An actual advert for "The Souper Dress."

Nothin wrong with advertising your love of cats! Meow!

Whenever I see old ads like this, I wish SO MUCH that I could send in the order form and it would magically travel back in time to get me my clothing order!

I really think Hallmark should do this again. Matching dress, wrapping paper, decor, plates, napkins... It's everything a girl could wish for!


Unfortunately, like all fashion crazes, the paper dress died out in just a few short years. It is my dream to someday collect some of these gems. I just love the idea of disposable fashion (no matter how impractical that may be). I think it also says a lot about the 60's, from an historic standpoint. That's probably a big reason why they are so fascinating to me. Not to mention the fact that I love the fashions from that time period anyway. Call me a school girl, but I am also a big fan of paper and paper products in general.

I would wear this today, or frame it on my wall.

I like the close up detail, and I'm pretty sure this is the same Hallmark dress.


The awesome thing I also discovered is that there have been a select few designers and artists who have continued to explore the wonderful world of paper clothing! Though they are not the little, 60's, mini-dress, they are often so intricate and amazing that it's hard to believe they are made from paper! And I would give anything to be able to see them in person! Again, I believe that the marriage of paper and fashion can only lead to happiness. Prepare to be amazed!

Awesome picture and dress!

I love how they created the graphic on this!

Origami gone crazy! I love it!
As a side note, Project Runway had a newspaper challenge that was very exciting! That one on the right is my favorite!


Apparently, designer Yeohlee uses paper in her designs from time to time.

OK, here's where it gets really amazing! Edward Maeder has made a whole bunch of these paper dresses from 18th century fashion. 

He considers himself an artist and a "needle man."


He uses reclaimed paper products like coffee filters and Q-Tips (which you can see here).

Can you believe this is paper?! 
Here and here are a few links about Edward Maeder. Amazing!!!

Here we have the stunning paper workings of Isabelle de Borchgrave!

The beauty of this creation is beyond compare!

Is it to be believed that someone can be this intricate and accurate with paper?!

Yup. That's paper.

She has had many commissioned pieces that are permanent fixtures at museums around the world. Most of them are either copies from paintings or of real-life pieces.

Here is another stunning commissioned piece! Apparently, she does a lot of the intricate detail with paints.

This might be my favorite (of the one's I've seen). The stripes and pleats leave me breathless! Who am I kidding? There's no way I could choose a favorite!
Here is a link to her website. Maybe we can all take a field trip to see her stuff together! (I think her studio is in Brussels.) Lets go!

3 comments:

  1. How do they make the dresses so intricate and then WEAR them without ripping the paper? I'd be constantly afraid to sit in a paper dress for fear it'd tear right down the back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These paper dresses are *beyond* amazing!!! Thank you for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need that Bob Dylan dress--I really do!

    ReplyDelete