Tuesday, July 16, 2013

That's a DRESSING gown?!

Dressing gown from 1865-75

I was spending some time online looking at the Metropolitan Museum's collection of clothing, and realised that I was looking a A LOT of dressing gowns. Not only that, they were amazing. Several, if not all of them, I would wear as a regular dress. These days many of them are fancier than many dresses you could get in a shop. I was going to try a chronological thing, but gave up and just chose a number of ones that caught my eye. But for a fashion feast, check this out: http://www.metmuseum.org/collections/search-the-collections?ft=dress

I will start with the earliest, though, just for the sake of uniformity!


This one is from the early 1800s. Isn't it amazing?

This is from circa 1825. Seriously. 

Check out the selection of fabrics used for this dressing gown!

Gorgeous! From the 1850s

Wow! 1860s

1880s

Late 1880s

Very romantic. 1890s

I love the simplicity of this. From Berlin, 1910.

These last three are by fashion designer Charles James, and are from 1945.

For some reason I just love these!

I think this one is my favourite.


3 comments:

  1. Wowzers! I can't believe those are dressing gowns! I've gotta say, those two from 1850 and 1860 are especially astonishing. They look like complete dresses. And I too love that stripey one from the 40's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1860's one, my definite favorite. But these are astounding. No need to "dress up". Ff company came one would be more than presentable. Oh, to walk and live day to day like this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the 1st and the 4th ones. Beautiful! I was most excited about the patchwork one from the 1820s. All those fabrics are a wealth of information! I even found a piece in there that looks a lot like my white floral print you preferred for my Recency dress! That's pretty awesome!

    ReplyDelete