Monday, June 24, 2013

A Film With a View


"A Room With a View" was originally a novel written by E. M. Forster in 1908. The movie, by the same name, was done in 1985, and is an excellent adaptation of the novel. But, more importantly, the costumes are stunning and remarkable! They were done by the amazingly talented Jenny Beaven* and John Bright. I can honestly say that the early 1900's is not remotely my favorite period in historical costume, but this was one of the first beautifully costumed movies I remember seeing, and it had a deep and profound effect on me.

Whether you like lace or not, there's no denying that this is stunning!


First of all, Helena Bonham Carter quickly became my favorite actress. I didn't just love her, I wanted to be her! I thought, and still do, that her performance was completely relatable, even though she was a bit of a snob! She made me want to be an actress. Not so much because I wanted to act, but because I wanted to dress up in beautiful, period clothing. (Obviously that dream never really panned out.) She broadened my dreams and aspirations, and she couldn't have done that dressed in jeans and a t-shirt.

I get chills just looking at this!


Second of all, I thought (and still do) that the kiss on the hillside was the most romantic movie kiss ever filmed. (Aah Julian Sands! Why didn't your career go in the same direction as Helena's?) I dare you to find a better one! And since this is not a movie review, I won't expound on the remaining cast and how sublime and perfect they all were.



But, the truth is, even though this period is not my favorite, the costumes are so flawless and sing such a lovely harmony with the rest of the movie's perfection, that it still remains to this day, one of my favorite costume drama's. If you are one of the unfortunate few who have not seen it, do everything you can to watch it as soon as possible! I promise, you won't regret it!

Maggie Smith has always been beautiful in period costumes! I love the detail on this one!

For some reason, I love Lucy's traveling coat!

Daniel Day Lewis proves, once again, that he can play any role brilliantly! This picture accompanies one of my favorite lines, "By all means, tea, rather than Eleanor Lavish!"

Beautiful detail of my favorite dress (also pictured at the top).

I was just as much in love with Freddy (Rupert Graves) as I was George (Julian Sands). Is that terrible?


Awkward moment, beautiful hat!



*Jenny Beaven (who often, but not always, worked with John Bright) went on to design costumes for some of my favorite movies: Swing Kids, Sense and Sensibility, Anna and the King, Gosford Park, Amazing Grace, Cranford, Sherlock Holmes and The King's Speech (to name a few)! What a resume! 

3 comments:

  1. Morag, how in the world did not I know that we shared such similar taste in movies? I feel like I wasted the years that we were in the same ward!!! Yet again, an excellent article. Thank you for sharing and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite Room with a View scene, however, required no costumes at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I have tried watching this movie like 3 times and always got bored. Next time I will watch it purposely to see that kissing scene and study the costumes (I love the early 1900s). My favorite movie kiss is actually in the new Northanger Abbey movie - it is so sweet and satisfying for the end of the movie! I do like the costumes in that one too, but they are definitely more plain than other historical movies.

    ReplyDelete