Saturday, June 1, 2013

Ode to Audrey Hepburn

In honor of the big summer movie season, we have decided to dedicate the entire month of June to the fashions of our favorite movies or movie stars. I have a big list to choose from, but I decided to dedicate my first post to one of the most iconic stars of all time: Audrey Hepburn. 

An early picture of Audrey with her lovely mother, Baroness Ella van Heemstra 

This early pic of her with her doll is priceless!

I'll try not to go into too much detail, but reading up on her background was absolutely fascinating! She was born in Brussels on May 4, 1929 Audrey Kathleen Ruston. Her families were very well to do and aristocratic. Her mother was from the Netherlands and her father had ties to England and as a result of her multinational background, she went on to speak fluent English, Dutch, French, Spanish and Italian. Because of infidelity (with the Nanny, no less), her father left in the mid-1930's, and she was then raised solely by her mother. 

It's hard to imagine an early Audrey. This is such a charming picture!
I am in love with this early dance photo of her!

The two of them moved to England for a time, but her mother moved them back to Arnhem in the Netherlands in 1939 because she believed it would be safer with the onset of war (since the Netherlands were historically neutral and had been able to stay out of WWI). Of course, this wasn't the case, and Audrey and her family suffered greatly throughout the war. Her Uncle was a part of the resistance and was executed, and one of her two half-brother's was sent to a labor camp in Berlin while the other had to go into hiding. She herself adopted the name Edda van Heemstra because an English sounding name was considered dangerous.

This is simply stunning! I wish I could have seen her during her early dance career!

Needless to say, she got through the war alive. She had trained as a ballerina beginning at the age of 5, and now pursued it in earnest, going back to England to train and perform. However, she was 5' 7," which was apparently a little too tall for a ballerina, and because of her malnutrition issues as a result of the war, she started focusing on the stage.



She quickly rose in the ranks, and began getting bit parts in film. Her big break came when she was spotted by the author Colette, who instantly chose her for her new Broadway play Gigi. As a result of her success with this role, she was cast in her first starring role, Roman Holiday. And I must say, the rest is history. A fun fact is that, although it was her first starring role, Gregory Peck talked the studio into putting her name (along with his) above the title, instead if being below it as in "Introducing Audrey Hepburn" in a smaller font. He said, "You've got to change that because she'll be a big star and I'll look like a big jerk." What a lovely man!

The best accessory I could ever imagine: Gregory Peck

For me, the strength and pull of Audrey Hepburn comes from the fact that she was angelically beautiful on the outside and in. Her later years were dedicated mostly to service and humanitarian work, and she was appointed Goodwill Ambassidor of UNICEF. 

This and the next five photos are all from Funny Face. The fashions in this are some of my favorites!




Perhaps her most timeless look!
 Here is the link to the Gap ad that used this scene to sell their skinny pants.


She was so sweet, but she could still smolder.

Even in casual wear she somehow managed to look elegant!

I have no idea what this is from, but I love it!

Charade! What a wonderful movie! And what a great use of that scarf!!!

Perhaps one of her most famous movies and costumes. Not my favorite movie, but the ensemble is fantastic!



Although I do consider myself a big fan of hers, I haven't even come close to seeing all of her movies. My favorites, however, are Roman Holiday, Funny Face and Charade. I hope you enjoy looking at these pictures of her as much as I do. I would love to hear your feedback and to know what you love most about this wonderful and iconic woman!



Love this makeup on her!

I like this slightly older picture of her! The fashion is a little off-putting, but she is still so very lovely!

Hope you get a kick out of our month of movies!!!

Special thanks to Wikipedia who supplied me with 90% of the information included in this post!

3 comments:

  1. She will always be a fashion icon. Other movies I love with her include Wait Until Dark and Sabrina. And How to Steal a Million has one of the funniest movie moments ever...at least, I remember it being hysterical the last time I saw it.
    And here's one of my favorite pics of her. http://media-cache-ec3.pinimg.com/originals/fd/79/75/fd79752233fb20012f356cdf7d879f2b.jpg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha! I've never seen that photo of her! It's perfect!!! I've never seen How to Steal a Million. Now I must!

      Delete
  2. Fabulous post--I love the casual bicycle shot! She is so beautiful, and I wish I could have all her clothes! My favorite--"the best accessory I could ever imagine: Gregory Peck" Oh, yeah!!

    ReplyDelete