Wednesday, June 26, 2013

The Young Victoria


Well, as you know by now, I have two main fashion loves: the 1830s & the 1920s. So when I saw 'Young Victoria' for the first time, I was overwhelmed by the lush and glorious costume design. I will, as usual, show examples from the film, and real examples of clothes from the period to give you an idea of how well done they are, and I know I used this word before, but it describes them perfectly - lush. They are truly beautiful costumes, designed by the talented Sandy Powell, who designed the costumes for such films as: Hugo, The Other Boleyn Girl, The Aviator & Orlando. 



I love the close-up of this green dress. You get to see the wonderful sleeves & the wonderful blue pattern. Stunning!


The men's costuming is done well too. I especially love Mark Strong's clothes (see the 1st picture). 



I love this red & dove grey stripey dress. It might be my favourite in the film. 


Another great example of fabulous costuming for men & women. The following images of authentic clothing from the 1830s & 1840s all come from the Victoria & Albert collection, which is rather appropriate, don't you think?


A close-up of the bodice & skirt from the 1840s. Compare with the above picture of Emily Blunt sitting down in the wedding dress. This waistline is *very* 1840s. 


A red stripey dress from the 1840s. 


A fellows garb, just to give you an idea. 


I'll end with this. It's a beautiful example of a dress from this period, and illustrates perfectly how wild & interesting some of their fabrics were, which is one of the many things which makes the costuming in 'Young Victoria' so lovely - they capture that element perfectly. 

3 comments:

  1. I must say, if I had to choose just one favorite movie for costuming, this would probably be it! I honestly don't think I could choose a favorite piece from it, though I do remember being blown away by the royal blue one with lots of lace. The second one pictured here: http://clothesonfilm.com/young-victoria-costume-designer-interview/7769/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! Lush is right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, I really enjoyed that movie, but for some reason I don't remember studying the costumes at all. I need to go back and do that. Thanks for reminding me how gorgeous the costuming was! I love that one at the top with that gorgeous mustard/gold yellow satin. It's just such a funky color!

    ReplyDelete